Hazelnut Butter Pesto recipe
A go-to pesto — packed full of flavour and a real showstopper in even the most simple of dishes. Works great with ribbon pastas such as Pappardelle or Linguini !
- 4 cups basil leaves, washed and destalked
- 1 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 – 2 tsp agave syrup
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ tsp fresh ground pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup crunchy hazelnut butter
- 1 – 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- 3 tbs nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- Chop the basil and parsley until reduced to 1 cup basil and 1/4 cup parsley.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth, slowly adding the nut butter.
- Add more olive oil as needed for desired consistency.
- Check seasoning.
Always try to buy you nut butter fresh from the Nut Butter Mill, free of nasty additives and preservatives.
Try this pesto on a purple flowering broccoli salad!
- 1 cup shelled broad beans
- 3 handfuls purple sprouting broccoli, thinly sliced including the stalk (use a mandolin slicer if possible)
- 1 zuchini (courgette), cut into ribbons
- 3 handfuls alfalfa or other microherbs
This salad can be raw, or you can grill the broccoli and zuchini.
Mix together all the ingredients in a bowl. Dress with a few basil and parsley leaves, a couple of spoonfuls of the pesto that was set aside, and a scattering of hazelnuts and herbs.